fbpx

Home Forums Members Chat Lessons from Ultra

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Runningversity
    Keymaster

LESSONS from Ultra. I’m still a beginner when it comes to Ultra running. I’ve done a couple of 50 milers and a 50K. I have a lot to learn and another 50 milers in April. Here are a few tips:
      ⚠️Cut your toenails the week before. No one needs nails banging against the front of the shoe on the downhills.
      🍦Practice everything. Practice eating while running. Practice carrying spare clothes and water in a race vest. Practice mud if it’s going to be muddy. Try different shoes.
      🤯If it’s going to be a hilly race, you need to be regularly running hills, especially downhills. Eccentric loading for hours takes a toll.
      😬Bodyglide and compression shorts are your friend. I’m using the T8 under-shorts which eliminate chafe.
      😎Pacing is important. Studies show that runners get more Ultra PBs when doing more even pacing throughout the race (rather than doing too much running at the start and slowing to miles of walking later).
      ⚠️Don’t drink too much water. If you need to wee a lot during the race and it’s clear, you are drinking too much. Studies show that those that finish very slightly dehydrated perform better with less chance of cramp.
      🤯Oddly, there’s no correlation between sodium supplements and incidence of cramp. I didn’t cramp at all in the WinterX and just used plain water and a few oat bars. Keeping the effort level low enough (with slower running and a bit of walking) is probably more of a factor when avoiding cramp.
      🔥An Ultra will expose weakness – pay attention to any bits of the body that are struggling. Hamstrings feeling tight? Work on that afterwards.
      😍They are fun, but often Type 3 fun (fun when you look back at it!)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.