fbpx

Home Forums Members Chat Questions I’ve answered this week

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Runningversity
    Keymaster

How do I know if I’m ready for a club session?

Club sessions or fast sessions in your own running plan get you working a bit harder than normal. Therefore, there are a few things to consider first.

1. Are you feeling unwell or ill? If so, there’s little point in pushing your body hard until it is recovered.
      2. Is anything hurting or niggling? You might make it worse if you put some high efforts in.
      3. Are you tired or have you had enough rest and sleep? If you can’t hold your running form, there’s little point in training hard that day. Getting posture and form right while running fast is critical, otherwise you are de-training.
      4. Are you racing in the next few days? There’s no point in doing a hard session a few days before a half marathon. Get to the start line with fresh legs!

If you aren’t ready, then consider a rest day or an easy run day instead. Remember, runners that are consistent and don’t get injured will progress faster long-term than the runners that push too hard all the time.

I have a low resting heart rate after years of running. Should I worry?

It’s unusual for most of the population that don’t exercise. Runners often have low heart rates because they are fitter and it doesn’t have to work as hard to keep them alive.

How important are LT and VO2max workouts for Marathon training? I’m finding it difficult to increase my mileage while doing lactate threshold or VO2max workouts once a week. Should I drop these faster workouts and just focus on increasing mileage with easy paced runs?

The VO2max workouts are going to help you in the final few miles when your legs would otherwise be tired. LT are super important for the marathon because they will make the second half much easier.

However, if you are not able to recover for effective long runs and easy runs, then they will be taking you backwards.

Consider moving to a 10 day cycle (long run every 10 days) so that you have more time to do the easy runs, fast runs and rest days. This is especially important for old athletes. V50+ I’d say it’s mandatory unless they are already super fit athletes. V40+ it’s still worth thinking about.

Why do I have shin splints pain now that I’ve started running?

Shin splints are normally form related. Lack of glute activation on the whip down – too much waiting for gravity. A more purposeful movement of the leg down underneath you will take the stress off the shins and knees (and moves it to the calves).

How do I avoid groin chafing?

T8 Commando undershorts are amazing (for men at least). I have no affiliation with them. Just really like them.

I’ve been running with a weighted vest, but have to go slower. Is it helping?

If you want to get good at running with a weighted vest / backpack for hiking, carry on. Otherwise you’d be much better off putting your time into doing interval training, hill sessions and tempo runs if you want to get quicker.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.