fbpx

Home Forums Members Chat Tips to improve your running speed

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Runningversity
    Keymaster

Everyone would like to run faster, but it’s easier said that done. Obviously getting some consistent, progressive running in helps, stressing the body slightly and letting it recover so that it gradually adapts over time to make running easier.

Here are some tips to help you get faster:

1. Practice running fast! If you never do anything except plod, it will be a shock when you enter a parkrun for example and try to run faster than normal. I like to practice a range of speeds, from very short sprints (20-30 metres), 400m intervals not much faster than 5K pace and 10-30 minute tempos which aren’t quite fast enough to make the legs burn. If you are a beginner runner, you can try the sprints, but don’t bother with the longer fast running until you can safely run for 30 minutes at an easy pace.
      2.  Improve your running form – I bang the drum for this one a fair bit because if you have poor form, once you get fit enough to run faster, the form will prevent you from fulfilling your potential. Many people run like they walk. Instead, pick your knees up, drive your legs back down quickly and early, and keep an eye on your posture. I have a great online course that takes you through this, step by step. Check it out here: Run Like a Pro
      3. Wear appropriate clothing. Many people feel self-conscious while running about their body shape and this isn’t easy to overcome. However, if it’s hot, then if you carry on wearing too many clothes, it’s going to slow you down because the body can’t cool itself as well as if you’d been wearing something that lets the sweat evaporate faster.
      4. Did you put on weight over the Summer holidays? I did! I enjoyed eating out every day and having a few drinks. I rarely weigh myself, but I noticed my shorts felt at bit tighter when I got back. Extra body mass means more effort to cool it while running, so I’ll be losing a couple of KG over the next few weeks, whilst making sure I’m getting plenty of food to recover well and stay strong.
      5. Set a goal. For example, run a 10K race. Most of your running should be at an easy effort level, but when you practice running fast, it can be tough on those days, so having that goal will help you keep disciplined and get the session done.

I hope you found that useful! Let me know what your goals are for the rest of the year!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.